Saturday, February 13, 2021

Now It's Coming Back

I knew about the film opening project when I signed up for this class, and even after having a year of time to mull over ideas and possible concepts I still barely have a clue as to what I'm making.


I'll have to work alone, which I'm fine with (and would rather do so I can build on this film further once I'm in college), since both my parents are moving houses. My dad already lives 40 minutes away from my mom, so my shooting situation will be tricky. This confinement actually gave me some inspiration, though! I'm going to adapt my script and storyboards to these issues, and I'll use the moving situation as a main concept in the opening and film itself.

I actually chose not to decide on my genre before all else. Instead I'm gonna think about some of my favorite openings and how they contribute to the tone and route of the entire film. I feel like a lot of my favorite directors definitely take a lot of inspiration from earlier movements and styles, and since I'm comfortable with analysis I think that would be a good way to see what I'll apply to my own work. I've been inspired by music a lot lately, especially sound collage, ambient, and slowcore. The song 'The Phantom Facing Me' by Duster comes to mind, I feel some of those lyrics match well thematically with what I'd like to convey. If I can contact some ambient composers to use their music as a score that would be really cool. In fact, my friend Christian makes some; I might use his, depending on how the opening takes shape and if it seems fitting enough.

I think this project will be a very dynamic undertaking that'll change a lot as it progresses and as I have to tackle different aspects of it. I have to say, I am excited though ... this is the first time I've really been challenged to make something fully my own, and I'll try to do so.

post titled after this song

No comments:

Post a Comment

Done!; My Project

 Well, here it is. Not much else to say, this was a pretty fun experience and a lot of hard work. no 'post titled after' today, but ...