Saturday, February 20, 2021

Infinite Potentiality

Coming-of-age films are usually marketed to audiences around the same age and demographic of the main characters. This can range from children to teenagers of both genders, The most common age range for coming-of-age audiences is 12 to 18 year olds, and this is also the most common age group represented in these films. Representation in coming-of-age has developed to be more accurate to the experiences of these audiences and less dramatized in recent years, focusing on the reality of mental health, school, home life, and other situations. Some films may receive R certifications if their content and nature, such as sexual scenarios and vulgar or offensive language and comedy, is deemed more appropriate for audiences ages 17 and up.


Ex) The 2007 film Juno deals with more serious and mature
themes such as teen pregnancy, but received a PG-13
certification since it teaches important lessons and tones down
its raunchy comedic nature.


With all the research that I’ve compiled, I’m able to now brainstorm about which conventions I want to include in my film opening. I’d definitely like to hone in on the aspects of realistic interactions and editing of those scenes, while having a more atmospheric style focused on visuals. While planning out my full film, I will plan the basis of a coming-of-age storyline with common themes including those mentioned in my previous post regarding the connection between setting and character identity.

My film opening will work to introduce the main character and setting, as well as some basic themes of the overall story. Like I mentioned before, I’d like to incorporate a song and might reach out to my friend Christian for that. I’d like to focus on building an atmosphere and tone that can be built further on in the film while still being consistent enough for the opening in and of itself.

post titled after this song

Resources:
https://www.queensjournal.ca/story/2019-07-07/pop-culture/what-the-evolution-of-coming-of-age-movies-means-for-representation/
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/502416/13-phenomenal-facts-about-juno

No comments:

Post a Comment

Done!; My Project

 Well, here it is. Not much else to say, this was a pretty fun experience and a lot of hard work. no 'post titled after' today, but ...